Friday, October 17, 2014

Week 4: 1 month down, 17 more to go!


HOLA FAMILIA Y AMIGOS!

This week has taught me a lot about the blessings that I really do have -  doing things like writing down what I am grateful for at the end of the day has helped a lot. So has actually getting out into the city. Today we went to the temple.  Driving through Mexico City traffic (which didn´t shock me as much as when we first got here) and seeing how these people live - It made me just really grateful. But my companion and I talked about it and Elder Holland´s talk and talked about how there are a lot of people who don't have what I have and are still grateful people. It changed my perspective. 

          I loved to see the temple. They are redoing the interior right now so we did not go inside, but the visitor's center and the tour that we got with the sister missionaries there was really nice. We watched this video about families and it made me even more grateful for mine :) I was blessed to receive some handwritten letters from my Grandpa Williams this week, which made me so happy. So have all the emails, letters, and support I have received. One of the toughest things I´ve had to see is people who don't have that same support. But through some experiences that we have all had together here and through their testimonies, I know that God is their support. 

Hermana Hogge & Hermana Cook

Templo y districto

         It was good to hear that you continued traditions and made memories this last week, and I hope you all have a good time over Halloween and all that. I love you all, but I know that I am where I am supposed to be. This week has been a little more challenging. Our "investigators" (teachers) are throwing more difficult problems at us, but I know it is because they really care about us and the people we are teaching and want us to be prepared. (And no, Dad, most of the investigators that I talk about aren't real. On Wednesday nights - since last week at least - we teach real volunteers, but other than that we have progressing investigator lessons with our teachers and practice with each other). 

        We had some inspiring devotionals, like we do, but this last Sunday was special because it was from Elder Holland (it was a recording, but even recordings feel like they are live time). He talked about Peter going back to fish after Jesus had died and loving the Lord more than loving fishing - or whatever it may be in our personal lives - and it helped me to see that that doesn't mean I go back to "fishing" after my full-time service is done. We also had Elder Valenzuela, an Area 70, speak to us on Tuesday. When he and his wife spoke, my testimony of this church and the Lord´s knowledge of each of us grew. If I have gained a testimony of anything while being here, it is that Heavenly Father is a master planner, and has a plan for each of His beloved children. 

        Some really really exciting news - for the first time since the CCM's dedication, we will be welcoming a member of the quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Elder Anderson will be speaking to us on Saturday, and I am so excited! It's like another General Conference. I´m really fortunate to be here now. 

         It's hard to believe I will be leaving in less than two weeks but I feel a little more prepared than I did before coming here. Last night I felt a little down because I didn't know how to answer a question, and during our visit with a real investigator last night I could barely understand what she said. But my teacher and companion were encouraging, and I have learned to be more patient with myself, and I know that that has invited more peace into my life. 

         God lives and He loves you, good people!
          Tengan una buena semana! Have a good week! 
         Love, Hermana Hogge

No comments:

Post a Comment